Margaret Brown is the founder and publisher of Shelf Media, which publishes three digital-only magazines and hosts the Shelf Media Podcast. Shelf Unbound book review magazine, the 2015 Maggie Award Winner for Best Digital Magazine, reaches more than 125,000 avid readers in 75 countries. In fall 2013, Shelf Media launched Middle Shelf: Cool Reads for Kids, which has received more than 375,000 impressions on the digital newsstand, as well as Foreground art magazine. Subscriptions to all three titles are free at www.shelfmediagroup.com. Margaret is a National Book Critics Circle Lifetime Member.
Shelf Unbound magazine also hosts the annual Shelf Unbound Writing Competition for Best Independently Published Book.
In This Edpisode:
- Her digital magazine Podster
- Why podcasts are so important to Margaret
- A featured podcaster on Podster and why he was featured
- How the barrier entry to entrepreneurship has never been lower than it is today
- How to educate others about the power of podcasts
- How to teach kids to have a healthy relationship with digital media
- Why we (and kids) need to embrace technology (in a proper manner)
Margaret’s Impact: Her grandfather had been a high executive at the ford motor company and was very successful and at one point made a lot of money. When he died, for many years in his retirement, he visited sick people in the hospital. When he died, for years after people would come up to her and say, “your grandfather visited me in the hospital” At the end of the day, it’s the “people you visited in the hospital” that matters the most and she wants to keep that focus every single day.
Margaret’s Wisdom Nuggets:
- “podcasts are going to take over radio”
- “we need to teach and expose kids to be readers”
- “model by reading yourself and make sure they have reading materials”
Listen to the Episode: http://positivityeffect.com/075/